October 2, 2016
Please complete REGISTRATION- 2016-2017 for Pre-K through 12th graders. We need your permission for your children to participate, your confirmation about contact info & allergies to watch for.
Spiritual Exercises & Resources on COVENANT theme of the Month:
Spiritual Exercises & Resources on theme of the Month: HEALING
2. Rethink Kindness ~ We also need to widen our view of kindness. Too often we think of it as “sweet.” Sometimes we even give into our culture’s tendency to mock and make light of it. But there is nothing sentimental or silly about remembering that most pain is hidden. Everyone walks around with wounds we are unable to see. Thus kindness isn’t helpful here and there; it’s needed everywhere we look. It’s not “good to remember” every once in a while; it is necessary all the time. In fact, if everyone is walking around with invisible wounds, we actually allow and cause great damage when we forget to be kind.
So this month, here’s your assignment: Remember that kindness is needed everywhere you look. Make yourself walk around with new eyes. Commit to taking kindness a bit more seriously than you have in the past. Remind yourself regularly that it’s not about being polite or sweet; it’s about healing unseen wounds – maybe even yours.
Here’s some guidance and inspiration to keep you on track:
- Naomi Shihab Nye’s poem, Kindness
- The Power of True Kindness
- Kindness Boomerang – “One Day”
- 35 Powerful Images of Kindness Found Within Conflict
- From Anne Lamott’s, Traveling Mercies: “On the first Sunday of Advent our preacher, Veronica, said that this is life’s nature, that lives and hearts get broken, those of people we love, those of people we’ll never meet. She said the world sometimes feels like the waiting room of the emergency ward, and that we, who are more or less OK for now, need to take the tenderest possible care of the more wounded people in the waiting room, until the healer comes. You sit with people, she said, you bring them juice and graham crackers.”
3. UU Source: World Religion – HINDUISM – 6-7th graders Trip to Hindu Temple in Queens NY will be October 9, 2016 (next weekend)
ADULTS welcome to join the group please contact Kathleen Kraemer for details
- Hinduism Fact Sheet
- EXCERPTS FROM THE BHAGAVAD GITA – THE SONG OF GOD (on not being attached to outcomes)
- Tuesday, October 4th – Youth Circle Meeting of LFD Council (all things 6-12th grade)- 7:00-8:30 pm – Fellowship Room
o Youth Feedback 7:00-7:30 pm
o Parents of 6-9th grade encouraged to come to talk about OWL & CoA options 7:30 pm
- 6-8th Garden Clean up Saturday, October 8th – 8th (6&7th too) but others welcome too (see below)- Community Garden Clean up – 10:00-noon – Reservoir Farm, Bridgeport RSVP to Polly Cromwell
- Please complete REGISTRATION- 2016-2017 for Pre-K through 12th graders. We need your permission for your children to participate, your confirmation about contact info & allergies to watch for.
- MOVIE on THEME of the Month: DOLPHIN TALE (Family Movie Night?)
In an inspiring story of the bond between animals and humans, a boy named Sawyer discovers an injured dolphin, who is brought to a marine hospital and named Winter. Unfortunately, her injuries cost Winter her tail, without which she may not survive. But with Sawyer’s devotion, a marine biologist, and the brilliance of a prosthetist charged with creating a new tail, Winter may receive a second chance at life.
SUNDAY, October 2nd – Animal Blessing Service
K & up in Sanctuary with pet(s) – well-behaved or bring a picture!
NOTE: Staying for activities after services? Need Childcare? When You arrive –
Please talk to LFD Staff in Blue Shirts (in lower level) if you will need child care after the service: Leave your child’s name and age, your cell # & anticipated pick up time. (or send a request to Rayquiner Hills, Lifespan Faith Development Assistant
At 9:00 & 11:00 am
- Pre-K & Wiggly children: My World has Animals – Pine Room
At 9:00 only
- 4-5th OWL (Attend with permission slip) Meeting House Main Floor
- At 10:15-10:45 am Parents of Pre-K-7th –on Theme HEALING – Chapel
- At 10:15-10:45 am – Meditation Lower Level – Elm Room
- At 12:30-4:00 pm Non-Violent Communication workshop – Meeting House
- At 1:00-3:00 pm – Being Mortal Book Discussion with Ann Sikes & Pat Francek (Pastoral Care) and Ron Taylor – East Wing
AFTER BOTH SERVICES – BLACK LIVES MATTER Banner LISTENING CIRCLE with Rev. John – EAST WING 10:15-10:45 am & 12:15-12:45 pm
- See Photos of other congregations who have put them up
At 7:00-9:00 pm
- 9-12th Youth Group – “History of European influx on indigenous peoples, Guns, Germs”-Meeting House
NEXT WEEK (NOTE for Adult Program)
- Thursdays in October: 6, 13, 20, 27 – Gentle Yoga -$10. – from 10:30 am-11:45 am – East Wing for Gentle Yoga details Contact & RSVP to Suzan Converse
- Saturday, October 8th – 8th (6&7th too) but others welcome too see below – Community Garden Clean up – 10:00-noon – Reservoir Farm, Bridgeport RSVP to Polly Cromwell
SATURDAY October 8th OUR Second – Community Garden Clean up Opportunity in Bridgeport
This opportunity is thanks to the efforts and passion of Lifespan Faith Development (LFD) Connections Circle Chair: Polly Cromwell PLEASE RSVP Polly Cromwell
6-8th Graders encouraged to this OUTDOOR COMMUNITY SERVICE ACTION (Polly is open to pick up some interested kids at TUCW at 9:30 and prefer that you pick up youth in Bridgeport at the end. RSVP to her and seats in her car are first come first served)
DATE: “Bridgeport Green Village Initiative Sat. OCT 8th
TIME: 10:00 am to 12 noon ”Eli and I will be meeting the GVI team there from 10 to 12 and would love to have either families or youth join us.” They are harvesting and starting fall clean up.
PLACE: Reservoir Farm (1469 Reservoir Avenue, Bridgeport CT. 06606).
Activities: weeding, trash pick-up, planting, turning beds, and additional gardening projects.
BRING: What to wear/bring: wear heavy-soled, closed-toe shoes, plenty of sunscreen, and farm-appropriate clothing (like long pants), and bring
extra sunscreen, any snacks or lunch they may want, and a refillable water bottle.
ALERT: Please be aware that there are two beehives on the farm; volunteers who are allergic to bees should bring an Epi-pen or appropriate medication in case they get stung
- Meditation Spiritual Practice – with Janet Luongo – Elm room on Lower Level – 10:15-10:45am Series dates: Intro on September 25, October 30, November 6, December 4 – RSVP to Janet Luongo
- Coloring Meditation – October 2nd and 23rd
- Gentle Yoga 8 series – Thursdays – 10:30-11:45 am for details Contact & RSVP to Suzan Converse (Series Dates: October 6, October 13, October 20, October 27, November 3, November 10, November 17)
- Parent Spiritual Practice Groups on Theme: Healing ~ PLEASE RSVP Mary Collins
~ Pre-K-5th Parents: Tuesday, October 2nd – Chapel at 10:15-10:45 am
~ Parents of teens Thursday, October 13 – Meeting House – 6:15-7:00 pm