April 30-May 1, 2016
Complete REGISTRATION so we have your permission for your children to be active in our program, and know about allergies, behavior policy and if it’s okay if we take pictures of your children
• 2015-2016 RE REGISTRATION at http://goo.gl/forms/ygWgp8T921
Parent Communication NOTE: A short post with a little more detail about each class will be in REALM Parents Group and often information about things you might do at home to continue faith formation during the week.
If you are not receiving them please email Mary B. Collins, Director of Lifespan Faith Development & ask to be put in the Parent group for your child(ren).
Chalice Lighters – Children, Teens, Adults can all sign up to be a chalice lighter!
CLICK HERE to sign up.
Saturday, April 30 – All Ages Meeting House Spring Cleaning – 9;00 am through 1:00 pm – Family Friendly service opportunity – contact Cal Wacker, Youth Program Director (so we can have the correct amount of food & know of any dietary restrictions as Lunch is being provided) BRING: work gloves, water bottle, hat if outside priming picnic tables, a sharpie marker, music you want to share.
Sunday, May 1, 2016 Multi-age “Jonah & the Whale” in Sanctuary
After both services – Come to the Lower Level foyer to pick up your clay sculptures from “Create Art” Day Thank you Betsy Beach for glazing and firing them – wait till you see them!
Register for 2016-2017 programming in lower level this Sunday (Pre-K through 12th grade)
Social Action opportunity on Theme of Blessing for Lifespan Faith Development:
BLESSING BAGS for IICONN (International Institute Connecticut) for recent refugees
- Choose items from the check list
- bring items May 1, 8, 15 and 22 & put in the basket with the picture of the blessing bag items.
- If you want to help sort and donate the bags – contact Mary B. Collins, Director of Lifespan Faith Development
At 9:00 & 11:00 am
- Pre-K & wiggly children will start & stay in PINE ROOM – Story: The King’s Drum (African Tale) UU Principle #6 Build a Fair and peaceful world.
- Ages 7 & up please START & STAY in SANCTUARY for a Multi-Age musical “Jonah & the Whale” presented by the youth choir. There will be seating up front on the floor for children in a designated area to get a good view of the action!
At 10:15 to 10:45 am
- PreK-5th grade Parent’s Group on Theme of the Month: How are we a People of Blessing? – We will have art supplies on hand for a spiritual exercise for parents so please join us promptly in Chapel after settling your children in Child care in PINE Room during the meeting – look for Staff: Alex Garrison, Rayquiner Hills, or Sarah Anderson (FYI They have the option to take the children to the playground during this time)
At 5:00 to 7:00 pm
- 9-12th graders – SUNDAY EVENING – MAIN building – Humza Hasan is organizing Youth worship and activities for the group, food will be provided.
At 7:00-8:00 pm service:
- 9-12th Youth Group Business- follows in East Wing
- Tuesday, May 3 – 7:00-8:30 pm – Faith Development Council Meeting – Fellowship Room in Main building Meet to consider: Year End, Summer, Next year’s programming. Parents, non-parents, teens welcome to share ideas now. RSVP to wp-svg-icons icon=”envelop” wrap=”i”] Dan Marcus, Chair, or Mary B. Collins, Director of Lifespan Faith Development if you plan to join us in person or online to get the ONLINE VIDEO LINK OR TELEPHONE # to call in.
- Sunday, May 15th – 10:15-10:45 am – Chapel – Another brief INFORMATIONAL meeting for people interested in Lifespan Faith Development planning for 2016-2017 groups & Adult programming.
Lifespan Faith Development – Options to consider as we end this month’s theme: BLESSING (curated by Soul Matters & Mary B. Collins, Director of Lifespan Faith Development)
QUESTIONS TO CONTEMPLATE:
- At what age were you best at noticing the blessings around you? Has age helped or hurt? Have you gotten better as time has gone on? or worse? What would improve your gaze?
- Are you okay with asking for a blessing? Sometimes it is easier to offer a blessing rather than admit you need one yourself? What’s getting in your way? Why not let others know your need?
A READING: PRIMARY WONDER by Denise Levertov
Days pass when I forget the mystery.
Problems insoluble and problems offering
their own ignored solutions
jostle for my attention, they crowd its
along with a host of diversions, my courtiers,
their colored clothes; caps and bells.
once more the quiet mystery
is present to me, the throng’s clamor
recedes, the mystery
that there is anything, anything at all,
let alone cosmos, joy, memory, everything,
rather than a void: and that, O Lord,
Creator, Hallowed one, You still,
Hour by hour sustain it.
MUSIC: A song that celebrates a shift in perception:
“Everything is Holy Now” by Peter Mayer ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiypaURysz4
BOOK suggestions this week:
My Grandfather’s Blessings: Stories of Strength, Refuge, and Belonging by Rachel Naomi Remen The author, “a cancer physician and master storyteller, uses her luminous stories to remind us of the power of our kindness and the joy of being alive. Dr. Remen’s grandfather, an orthodox rabbi and scholar of the Kabbalah, saw life as a web of connection and knew that everyone belonged to him, and that he belonged to everyone. He taught her that blessing one another is what fills our emptiness, heals our loneliness, and connects us more deeply to life.” ~ http://tinyurl.com/zeyrff3
List of books for children and families: