Lifespan Faith Development is at the core of Unitarian Universalism. The 7 principles of UUism are:
- Respect—The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Kindness—Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- Spirit—Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- Truth—A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- Voice—The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- Peace—The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
- Nature—Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Many people come looking for a church, temple or fellowship with the express purpose of family-centric spiritual development. Parents may find themselves thinking:
“What will I teach my child about the world? What values? What beliefs?”
“What spiritual community best reflects what I believe is true?”
“How can I make the world a better place for my child?”
“How do I best navigate the teen years with my youth?”
Lifespan Faith Development at The Unitarian Church in Westport (TUCW) addresses these important questions at every stage of development from Pre-school through Senior High and into adulthood.
The purpose of Lifespan Faith Development is to provide an environment for:
- Growing bonds of connection between people of all ages;
- Hearing stories and points of view from more than one religious tradition;
- Experiencing worship and a sense of wonder and mystery;
- Discussing the “BIG” questions and issues of concern to us;
- Acting upon our values of love and service through social justice opportunities in the greater community.
As Gandhi said, “We must become the change we seek in the world.” We value and respect all people, the diversity of their ideas, their questions and the process of unfolding understanding. For all ages, we provide a compelling and supported path to spiritual maturity. We affirm on Sundays:
Love is the spirit of this church, and service its law;
This is our great covenant:
To dwell together in peace,
to seek the truth in love,
and to help one another.
~James Vila Blake~
We look forward to welcoming you in person! Feel free to continue to explore the website to learn more about our programs for children, youth and adults, or about upcoming events. We invite you to visit us on any Sunday during the school year.
Assistant Minister for Faith Formation
Rev. Shelly Thompson
(203) 227-7205 ext. 17
Acting Children’s Program Coordinator – Pre K to Grade 5
(203) 227-7205 ext. 15
Rev. Dr. John T. Morehouse – Senior Minister
(203) 227-7205 ext. 12
And you can find more about our LFD programs in Realm.
CLICK HERE to sign-in to Realm click here.
CLICK HERE for Realm – Getting Started FAQ