The purpose of the Governance Committee is to enable the board to become the best and most productive board possible within its chosen governance structure. The Committee monitors board performance and engages the board in a continual process of discernment and improvement.
- Maintain an up to date job description for board members
- Maintain a list of skills and qualities the board needs
- Works with the NLDC to recruit new board members that bring needed skills and qualities to the Board
- Leads an annual orientation/training session for new and returning Board members
- Assists in training and orienting new board members appointed to fill vacancies in between elections
- Stay current on books, materials, webinars and workshops relevant to board development
- Facilitates a yearly covenant review and renewal, which can be part of the orientation/training session
- When requested, assist with the logistics of the annual ‘start of church year’ goal setting session
- When requested, assist the Board with their annual self-evaluation based on goals set at the fall strategic planning session
- When asked, advise the Board on questions of governance, polity and/or process. (An example is the proposed process for choosing members of the Executive Committee of the Board)
Roles: The Governance Committee consists of 3 members appointed by the Board to serve three year terms. The appointments shall be timed in such a way that one person rotates off each year. Members may serve no more than two consecutive terms. All appointees should be familiar with the governance structure of the congregation, and have a proven leadership record in the congregation. No more than one current Board member may serve on the Committee at a time.
The Chair shall be chosen from among the committee members; this choice shall be affirmed by the Board. Nobody shall serve as Chair for more than two years.
Guidelines: The Committee shall meet at least quarterly; more often when needed. The Chair will circulate an agenda in advance of each meeting. One member will be appointed at each meeting to take minutes. The minutes shall be posted on the TUCW website in the Board section. Once each year the Committee will write an article for Soundings explaining their purpose and goals for the year.
Accountability: The Governance Committee is a committee of the Board and is accountable to the Board. Frequency of reporting to the Board shall be at the discretion of the Board. The Committee will submit a written report for publication in the Annual Reports to the congregation.
CLICK HERE for the Governance Committee’s charter.